Normally when you format/hard reset the Samsung SGH-i780 it will ask to align the screen on first step. If you are unable to do the screen align then you must have a hardware problem on the phone, but don't worry about that you can easily skip the screen align by following the below steps.
- First make a new text file using the computer and rename it to (Welcome.not) .not is the Filename extension
- Copy the Welcome.not file to the root of the SD Card (Don't put the file inside any folder)
- Insert the Memory card to the Samsung i780 mobile phone
- Then Hard Reset It
- Wait until the format process complete
- Now the device will not ask to align the screen on the Samsung i780
(Note: First Insert the Memory Card to the Mobile and then hard reset)
This trick has been tested on Samsung SGH-i780 and it's success.